Thursday, November 4, 2010

Running is hard!

My whole life I never thought I could run long distance but this last summer I decided I was going to run. Some of you may understand that one day when you wake up, take a hard look at yourself in the mirror, and realize "Wow! I'm not a size 8 anymore"! Well that moment is what inspired me to start running.

When I first met my husband, I had just lost about 40 pounds due to a bad breakup and was looking pretty good. I had gone from a size 14 to almost a size 8. I felt good! Then I met my husband...and I started getting (dun dun dun) comfortable. Now you have to understand that my husband has a smaller stature. In fact, he's been working out to get bigger. So, he eats ALL THE TIME and he can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight. I know, right? Well, long story short, I was no longer my almost size 8. I had managed to gain all my weight back and was looking at a size 14 pant once again.

So, I started working out...kinda. I would go really good for a couple weeks and then get lazy. I kept getting frustrated because I wasn't losing weight as fast as I wanted. You know, I workout a couple days and turn into a supermodel. Is that too much to ask? Well, apparently it is! Needless to say, we went back to the states for the holidays and I thought, what diet? Then on our trip back to Japan, we stopped in Thailand for a week.

For some reason I felt pretty good about myself and my body, but then I looked at the pictures. I hadn't lost any weight!?! That is when I had to be honest with myself and confront my laziness. I had become that "big girl" again.

It was then and there that I made the decision to be more dedicated to me and my diet/exercise. So I've been working out and keeping a diet pretty regularly and have lost 15 pounds (since April). I'm very close to my first goal weight and I hope to run a half marathon by next spring.


I've still got about 20 more pounds to my final goal but at least I've already lost two pant sizes. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Meg!! I've started running recently too. I keep waiting for the feeling that my chest is going to explode to subside, but so far, no dice. :)

    -Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Right now I'm averaging a 3K every other day. Keeping going and eventually your chest will relax. I still have days where I think my body would rather die than run again. That is why "running is hard"! MIss you guys!

    ReplyDelete